Asphalt pavement is primarily rock and gravel, along with a binder. The rock, or aggregate, is held together with this binder also known as asphalt cement. The binder is created from the distillation process of certain crude oils. Maintaining this binder is essential in prolonging the deterioration of asphalt surfaces. Rain, U.V. rays and chemicals, as they are introduced into the asphalt, will degrade the binder and thus begin deteriorating the asphalt. This will continue and create a surface that turns brittle and cracks. To reduce the effects of these elements and extend the life of your parking lot or driveway, it is important to implement a maintenance program that utilizes asphalt sealcoating.
Benefits of Asphalt Sealcoating
Asphalt sealcoating helps protect pavement from destructive things such as the hot Greensboro sun, rain, gasoline, motor oil, and more. While companies do sealcoat their driveways and parking lots to help keep a clean appearance, they also do this to protect their investment. The sealcoating helps take all of the abuse from certain elements rather than the asphalt. Replacing and regularly maintaining the sealcoating layer helps protect you from unwanted costs of having to repave the entire driveway or parking lot.
Sealcoating has many advantages to extend the life and appearance of your asphalt pavement:
- Sealcoating seals the asphalt pavement preventing the oxidation and erosion of the top layer of asphalt.
- Sealcoating replaces fine particles lost from the asphalt surface due to oxidation.
- Sealcoating seals the small cracks and voids that can turn into large cracks.
- Sealcoating helps prevent water from seeping down to the base material.
- Sealcoating helps protect asphalt from the sun and the harmful effects of chemical spills such as oil and gasoline that can soften asphalt.
- Sealcoating provides an attractive and uniform black surface that is smooth, clean and ideal for painting lines and other markings.
- Sealcoating costs pennies per square foot, compared to dollars per square foot to repair or replace damaged asphalt.
How is Asphalt Sealcoating Applied?
- Parking lot or surface is cleaned/swept off. This is important as the sealcoating will not stick to dirt and debris.
- Cracks in the asphalt are cleaned out and filled.
- Sealcoating is neatly applied on the edges and around sidewalks, curbs, and more. Then, the first layer is applied over the entire parking lot or surface. After this coat dries, a second coat is applied evenly across the surface.
- Lines are painted after the second coat has dried.
This process is quite messy which is why we advise you to leave it to the professionals.
Surface preparation is important. The surface must be sound as cracks will reflect back in a short time. This means crack filling and patching first. It also means killing weeds and cleaning/treating oil spots. Sealcoating can be applied either by spraying or by a squeegee. We usually apply the sealer with a squeegee on smaller areas such as home driveways. Spraying of sealcoat is usually reserved for larger driveways and open areas such as parking lots. Either method will result in a quality, long lasting coating. Once finished with the application of sealcoat, allow to cure 24 hours before allowing vehicle traffic back on the surface.
*If rain is imminent within a 24 hour period or temperatures are forecasted to get below 50 degrees, we will not apply sealcoat.
**Scuffing of the newly sealcoated surface may occur and is normal and temporary, usually occurring within the first month after the sealcoating has been applied.
Asphalt pavement should be sealed every one to three years depending on the amount of traffic. Surfaces that receive light traffic like home driveways would require sealing less often than parking lots that receive moderate to heavy traffic.
A regularly scheduled sealcoating program will more than double the life of the asphalt, saving you significant dollars down the line. Instead of having to pay thousands of dollars for new pavement, it is more cost effective to spend only pennies on the dollar per square foot to maintain.
Please Contact Us for Asphalt Sealcoating
AFineLine Striping Services provides asphalt sealcoating for the Greensboro, NC area. Please call today for a quote. We have the experience and expertise to help you with your next big project.